EDU: Top Class Education for ST Students
This is a Central Sector Scholarship Scheme for ST students introduced from the academic year 2007-08 with the objective of encouraging meritorious ST students for pursing studies at Degree and Post Graduate level in any of the Institutes identified by the Ministry of Tribal Affairs for the purpose.
- It supports meritorious ST students who gain admission in 213 identified quality educational institutions.
- Scholarship once awarded will continue till completion of the course subject to satisfactory performance.
- Amount of Scholarship covers tuition fees, boarding and lodging expenses, book grant and a one time grant for purchase of a Computer along with its accessories.
- 100% funding is provided by the Ministry of Tribal Affairs according to the norms.
- Each identified Institute has been allocated 5 awards, however, it can be increased subject to an overall cap of 625 scholarships per year. Fund is released by the Ministry of Tribal Affairs to the concerned Institution directly.
- The total family income of the student from all sources should not exceed Rs. 4.50 lakh per annum.
(Office Order Dated 19th July 2013)
- Only those Scheduled Tribe students who have secured admission in notified Institutions will be eligible for the scholarship.
- If the number of the ST students admitted in a particular Institution exceeds the number of awards allocated to that Institutions than the scholarship will be restricted to that number of students who occupied top slots in the inter-se merit list.
- Full amount of tuition fee and other non-refundable dues in respect of Government/Government-funded institutions are paid.
- In case of students studying in private sector institutions a ceiling of Rs. 2.00 lakh per annum per student will apply normally.
- In case of students in private sector flying clubs for Commercial Pilot Training the ceiling is Rs. 3.72 lakh per annum per student.
- Living expenses are paid as per actual, subject to maximum ceiling of Rs. 2200/- per month per student.
- Expenditure on Books and stationery is paid @ Rs. 3000/- per annum per student. Cost of a latest computer along with accessories limited to Rs. 45,000/- as one time assistance during the entire course is paid to the student.
PROGRESS OF THE SCHEME
Under the Scheme, during the 11th Five Year Plan period (2007-08 to 2011-12), an amount of Rs. 13.83 crore was released to cover 814 students. During the financial year 2012-13, the BE is Rs. 13.00 crore, out of this, an amount of Rs. 6.14 crore has been released to cover 298 students till date.