EDU: National Overseas Scholarships for Scheduled Tribe Students
It is a Central Scheme to provide financial assistance to meritorious students for pursuing higher studies in foreign university in specified files of Master Level Courses, Ph.D and Post-Doctoral research programmes, in the field of Engineering, Technology and Science. The Scheme was introduced during the year 1954-55 and has since been revised from time to time. This was Non-Plan Scheme, which became a Plan Scheme from 2007-08.
- Financial assistance is provided to 15 meritorious students (13 for ST and 2 for PTG) for pursuing higher studies abroad at the Masters level and Ph. D and Post-Doctoral research programmes in 35 specified disciplines of Engineering, Technology and Sciences.
- The Scheme attempts at enhancing the employment avenues for ST candidates.
- 100% Central Assistance is provided directly to the candidates.
- The prescribed financial assistance is provided till completion of the course/ research or the following period, whichever is earlier:-
(a) Post Doctoral Research - 1&1/2 years (One and a half year)
(b) Ph.D. - 4 years (four years)
(c) Masters Degree –3 years ( three years)
- The extension of stay beyond prescribed period for levels of courses as mentioned above, may be considered without financial assistance of any kind except the air passage to return to India, on the recommendation of the competent authority in the educational institution/ university as well as the Indian Mission abroad.
- The candidate should belong to Scheduled Tribe community.
- The candidate should be First Class with 60% marks or equivalent grade in relevant degree for Master Degree, Ph.D. and Post Doctoral Research.
- The age of the candidate should below 35 years.
- Total income from all sources of the employed Candidates or his/her parents/guardian should not exceed Rs. 25000/- per month (excluding such allowances as are not treated as part of the total income for the purpose of income tax).
- Not more than one child of the same parents/guardian is eligible.
- Candidates who are in employment must forward their applications through their employer alongwith their NOC.
- The finally selected candidates are required to obtain admission and join an accredited university/ institution abroad within three years from the date of communication of selection.
- The selected candidates are given cost of tuition and other educational fees charged by the foreign university etc., maintenance and other grants along with travel expenses.
- Only Passage Grants are available to four ST candidates every year who are in receipt of merit scholarship for Postgraduate studies, Research or Training abroad (excluding attending Seminars, Workshops, Conferences) from a Foreign Government/ Organization or under any other schemes where cost of passage is not provided.
- The awardees are permitted to supplement their prescribed allowances by undertaking Research/Teaching Assistantship up to prescribed ceilings. Where income earned is beyond the ceiling, the maintenance allowance under the scheme shall be correspondingly reduced by the Indian Missions abroad.
PROGRESS OF THE SCHEME:
Under the Scheme, during the 11th Five Year Plan period (2007-08 to 2011-12), an amount of Rs. 1.54 crore was released. During the financial year 2012-13, the BE is Rs.1.00 crore, out of this, an amount of Rs. 0.87 crore has been released till date.